Thursday, May 17, 2012

Sleep Baby Sleep

Nikki: n: anxiety ridden, compassionate, loving mother of one stubborn yet adorable little boy, giant lab of a dog, and wife to an amazing husband. Yep, that's me in a nutshell! I'd say I'm one of those people who tend to leap to the worst case scenario- mainly due to reading and researching way too much on any given subject. I have a love/hate relationship with the internet - love that it has so much to offer, but hate the plethora of information it can offer on any given subject, whether true or false.
When we found out we were pregnant I researched the death out of our baby registry. From the safest and best reviewed carseats to the baby monitor - you name it I researched it. Thus, when we transferred baby D into his crib and room at 3 months of age, I was and still am, a nervous wreck! There are so many studies out now about SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) and what you should and shouldn't have in a crib. The latest advice - just the baby - no bumper, blankets, lovies, pacifiers, NOTHING! And guess what, I have all of that in his crib...what is a new mom ever to do?
We happened to receive two monitors as shower gifts - the Safety1st true view colored video monitor (via my mom) and the Angelcare monitor (via Ryan and Lindsay). We set up the colored video monitor right away in part to how easy it was and how cool we thought it was to be able to view our little munchkin. I admit, I love this thing! Once we got a new battery (thanks to safety first - great customer service!) it has been awesome! We can travel with it and watch him whenever we want...great when you don't want to miss anything like a first roll!

Lindsay's sister, as well as almost every review online, raved about the Angelcare monitor - a device that monitors everything from the temperature in the room to D's movement - if he stops moving for 20 seconds or more an obnoxious alarm sounds warning us that he may be in danger. I was so excited to receive this gift because being the worry wart that I am I assumed it would put my fears at ease. At first I couldn't stand the thing - partly because I had gotten used to viewing D's every move/sound and partly because I didn't really know how to work the thing - I like to push buttons, not necessarily read directions. Well, after this last trip to Atlanta, I've yet to hook the video monitor back up and thus, having to rely solely on the Angelcare monitor (yep, my bedside looks like Fort Knox as we have two monitors monitoring D). Guess what? I LOVE IT! After using it solely for the last few nights, I've been able to sleep a little more soundly because it only goes off when he makes a noise or if it can't feel him breathing. Since I decided to disregard all the warnings and allow D to keep his blankie, lovie, pacifier, and crib bumper, knowing the monitor will go off if he is in trouble puts my anxious self at ease- ah this momma is happy as a clam!



No comments:

Post a Comment