Monday, September 10, 2012

A Day To Remember

The bell rang to dismiss us to our next class. Like any other day I left English and walked across the school to art-a class full of wonderful, off-the-cuff students. As we entered the room-laughing, talking- ambivalent to the tv turned up in the classroom, we were quickly hushed and told "no talking! Don't you know what has happened?!" Actually, we had no idea as the first plane hit during class transition. Amidst the chaos that quickly erupted, we took our seats and affixed our eyes to the television up above. Sheer shock and astonishment took over my senses - what the heck was happening? Then, as if the newscast was on repeat, the second plane hit.

Unbeknownst to most, Tampa is very much a transient city thanks to MacDill Air Force Base. The moment the second tower was hit, our Principle enacted a no tv policy as many Bloomingdale students had parents stationed at the base and it was speculated might be hit. The day our nation was attacked, our school didn't want us to know. Was our principle right in trying to shield us from the ugly truth of war or was she doing us a dis-service? Honestly, I don't know- all I know is every teacher at that school turned the tv on, muted the noise, and cancelled the curriculum for the day- we couldn't comprehend why this was happening much less think about blending colors!

I will never forget that day-nor last September as I sat, once again, glued to the television watching the coverage of the 10th anniversary of 9/11. The difference this time- I was 7 months pregnant. I didn't cry on September 11, 2001- not because I didn't feel for our country but because I didn't know how to react to such a tragic event. However, 10 years later I cried...a lot...for every mother, father, and child who lost a loved one 10 years ago. Why? Because this time I understood- and I finally cried.

Like past wars, Daven will never fully comprehend 9/11. Yes, he will learn about it in school, but to him, it will be just another tragedy. However, I will be reminded each and every day how blessed I am to have been given the chance to share my memories of that tragic day with our little man and help him understand how truly blessed we all are.

Today, amongst the craziness of this so-called life, please take a moment to remember to thank God for all the blessings he has bestowed upon us and never forget 9/11.

Xoxo


 

No comments:

Post a Comment